Sunday, June 8, 2014

Working with recycled timber #32: PTLT fixed section and hinge rework

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n6ueeqo.jpg


I decided to get on with the rework on the Pallet Timber Low Table, this weekend so after dismantling everything and cutting off the ugly vee grove at the hinge joints I found I would have to re manufacture the fixed section of the table top due to so much material being removed.


I replicated the fixed section as close as possile to the dimensions of the larger tilt up section.


Here it is about to get the edges profiled.



Due to the material being removed from the edge of original table top section, it meant I had to not only mortice them down tothe correct height but re sink the holes in their new locations.


I made a jig to do this as it was now recessed 19mm, I didnt want to screw uo again!



Jig Description:
The jig has two parts,
Part 1 the morticing template and Pt 2 the insert to locate the center of the circle and the opposite end to locate the two screws.
Pt 1 the morticing


Pt 2
Here it is set up for the ciircle simply align with the pencil line and drill


and for the cross section reversed and re inserted.


Here are both the sections morticed,


All worked well

I soon had them assembled for a test run before commencing the stain and varnish again.


No more ugly gap

Might be a bit hard to see with the extereme contrast.


And opened!


Sucess at last !!




Source: LumberJocks.com



Working with recycled timber #32: PTLT fixed section and hinge rework

No comments:

Post a Comment