Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Chess pieces and board #8: Finished Pieces Starting on the board

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n6b6gz3.jpg


Here is the latest:
The pieces are all made. On to the board. Birds Eye Maple and Rosewood.
I got the veneer supplies ready to go and glued each piece to the 1/2” Birch Ply after cutting them to rough width, 2.25”. I used the full length of each 12” piece of veneer and had a gap in the middle, which was fine because I had enough to get the eight strips out of it. Each strip is 24 inches long and I just cut what I needed out of it and skipped over the gap. I then cleaned up the veneered edge of one side of each strip and ran them all through the table saw to final width, then glued them edge to edge. After that was dry I cut them the opposite way without changing my cut setup so that everything would be square. I ended up with the checker pattern and glued them up with opposing colors as shown. Next I have to glue the extra ply around the edge and add the pattern edge strips and a little extra veneer to run up to the edge of the sides. Also included is a picture of what I’m planning on doing. This is not the actual board just my inspiration. Thanks for looking!














Source: LumberJocks.com



Chess pieces and board #8: Finished Pieces Starting on the board

No comments:

Post a Comment