Friday, May 30, 2014

The Slippery Slope #17: Unicorn Sighting - Disston No. 99

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n6e20ke.jpg


Ive reported my latest discovery over on the saw thread but I felt it deserved its own post. I was out yesterday heading to look at a job for work and decided to swing through an antique shop. Things were pretty overpriced the last time I stopped by but like any rust junky Im always hopeful. I headed into the tool room and instantly a saw grabbed my attention. It had 3 medallions and 1 spanner nut instead of your typical 1 medallion and 3 spanner nuts. Marked down from $55 to $25 I snatched it up and headed out to grab a bite.


As I sat down for some roadside fare I searched the interwebz for some information on my saw. My first stop was the disstonian institute. Browsing through it I had my saw pegged as a No. 99. A top end saw made from “extra refined” London Spring Steel, and as quoted “with more hardware than a French General”.


Digging further into the internet I couldn’t find a many of these saws that had been sold or recorded. I do believe ive found the unicorn.


Handle:


And as I started cleaning it up I found a “99” stamped into the plate which was covered up by the handle:


Removing some rust from the plate ive come across a very nice, legible etch:


The sickness continues with no end in sight.




Source: LumberJocks.com



The Slippery Slope #17: Unicorn Sighting - Disston No. 99

No comments:

Post a Comment