Friday, May 30, 2014

Logs to Lumber #4: Amazing Grained Oak Burl from Lake County, CA (NorCal)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n6emwre.jpg


The annual memorial day weekend trip took a last minute detour as some wildfires kept us from our scheduled camping trip, but instead we went to visit my best friends Grandma up in Lucerne, Lake County, California.


The surrounding hills are littered with various oak trees such as blue oak, internal live oak, valley oak, california scrub oak and several other oak species. One afternoon i went galavanting up into the hills with my bow saw and hand axe to quickly come upon a huge fallen oak tree. Much of the tree was rotted away, but the base of the trunk had a large burl attached, and after prodding it with my hatchet, found it to be still in prime shape.



I brought out the bow saw and went to work, but DAMN this was some hard wood, man! A large chunk that included the burl broke off after a bit of sawing and hacking, so I just took the whole piece. Thats a madrone log next to it which I brought back as well.



Here is a small sample piece of this burl, which had broken off. I sanded it up and put some BLO.
I was amazed at this grain! I can’t wait to make some pens and a bowl with this.




Source: LumberJocks.com



Logs to Lumber #4: Amazing Grained Oak Burl from Lake County, CA (NorCal)

No comments:

Post a Comment