Monday, May 5, 2014

Going Galoot #6: Time to step up to the re-plate.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n542oha.jpg


Shop’s Log: May 5 2014


Having been working on some saw cleanups, modifcations, restorations and refurbs, I was finally ready to tackle a project that has been sitting in the saw till for over a year. Last March, I picked up an 8 inch Disston at an antique shop for a very reasonable amount. I thought at the time all it was going to need was cleaned up and sharpened, but alas, it was not to be. When cleaning up the plate, I found a 1/2in long crack at the toothline.




I had hoped to maybe file past the split and then re-tooth the saw. I suppose I still could but another opportunity came up. Ron Bontz threw out an irresistible offer in an LJ post for replacement plates with teeth punched, so I decided to order up a new 3 inch deep 13ppi rip plate. The old plate was 2-1/2 inches, but I wanted a bit more depth for use with my David Barron dovetail jig.




Today, I took the saw apart and worked it over. Here is the result.






I still need to sharpen and set it, but want to practice my sharpening on a few coarser toothed saws before trying to work on a 13ppi. The re-plating process was actually very easy and I would definitely have no hesitation doing it again. If you have an old saw that needs that treatment, quit putting it off and step up to the (re)plate.




Source: LumberJocks.com



Going Galoot #6: Time to step up to the re-plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment