Monday, January 27, 2014

Adventures in Working Wood #2: Updates 'n stuff

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/members/421551-50x50.jpg


It’s been a pretty good while since I’ve posted anything to LJ’s so I thought an update was in order…


Well, let’s get it out there right now. I haven’t been in the shop since just before Christmas. Between the holidays, visiting family, hunting, and general responsibilities, I just haven’t had time to get to the shop.


Prior to my hiatus, I’d cleaned and organized my shop a bit so I could move around and find things easier. I had finished sharpening my plane irons and chisels and began working on a project…a saw bench. I’ve also made a few tool purchases and sold a few (as originally planned). I was both happy and sad to sell my (Stanley) North Bros. Yankee 2100-12 brace. Happy because I sold it for a profit (which was my intent when buying so many tools up front at auction – reduce my total out of pocket cost to get into woodworking by as much as possible) but sad because it was by far the nicest brace I had. I sold a couple other things which has helped, as well.


I put that on hold, though, because I had an opportunity to do some traditional bow hunting with my dad a few times and have been teaching my oldest (nearly 4) to shoot a bow (which, right now, amounts to him having a pretty good understanding of safety concepts, holding the bow, nocking an arrow and then flinging it in the general direction of a target). Lot of good family time and memories being made right there.


Once the weather warms up a bit here in Northern VA and the snow melts, I intend to get back to my shop. It’s way too cold in there right now, even with the space heater. The thought of trying to handle cast iron in below freezing temperatures isn’t appealing.


So there you have it.




Source: LumberJocks.com



Adventures in Working Wood #2: Updates 'n stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment