Thursday, January 30, 2014

Woodworking For Therapy #11: No Saw Dust This Week, But..........

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ljimg/n08nb0c.jpg


Physically this has been a rough week. My Oral Chemo Medicine (which I prefer to call my poison) has kicked my pew warmer pretty hard. Or as we say in Texas, it put a can of whoop butt on me. Actually more like a 55 gallon drum than a can, but……………. like the Apostle Paul said, “I’ve learned to be content in whatever state I find myself in.” Of course Paul had never been to California, but that’s another story.


I may not have made any saw dust but woodworking has still given me energy and motivation to live every day to the fullest, even if most of that day I am in the toilet.



I have had time to watch some great woodworking videos, draw up some plans for future projects, dream about becoming a master woodworker, and correspond with many of you. So it hasn’t been a wasted week.


As you can imagine I’m not a rich man, in the material sense, but I am rich with new friends that I’m connecting with here at LJs. I especially want to give a public thank you to WDHLT15, He mailed me a large box of assorted hardwood pieces to get me started on some real woodworking. The postage alone was more than I can afford right now to buy hard woods and he did it just because he wanted to bless me. Boy did he! I’ve been starring at that wood for three days now dreaming about what I can make with it. That’s a lot more fun than watching glue dry. I can tell that Danny is a humble man and probably wouldn’t want me to tell you all what he did, but sorry Danny, I’ve been bragging on you to the folks at my church so I wanted to let all the LJs know what a special gift from God you have been to me! Others have sent me plans, private messages of encouragement and I just thank God for all of you!


By the way, Danny has a new website up that you should check out. You can trust this man to treat you right. He owns Hamsley Hardwood in Perry, GA. Check his site out and at least send him a message of encouragement. The sites new and I pray that as it develops it will be fruitful.


Today I had a few good hours and I was able to drive out to Homestead Heritage Village talk to one of the instructors, Mark, in their woodworking shop. I saw some beautiful work, got to observe a chip caving class and pick Marks brain for about a half hour. It was great to get out and to be around some real sawdust makers! I took a few pictures that Ill share here, but they don’t do their work justice. Maybe in a future blog I can share more about them. They are only 15 miles from my home.



The student work bench station accommodates two students. They have about seven benches. Most all of their work is done with hand tools.



I loved this box, it all made with hand tools.The dovetails, that probably don’t show in this picture were amazing.All of these pieces were made by the students in various classes.




Today the students were learning chip carving.



This is one of the projects the chip caving students do.


When Judy and I have gone out to the Village for some get away time and lunch we always visit the pottery shop. BTW, the food at their restaurant is outstanding! They grow all their own food, raise the meat and poultry, and even have a grist mill for making all their different kinds of flower and grain products.

Here are a couple of shots of the pottery shop where they also give lessons.






Like I said, I didn’t make any sawdust of my own today, but I was blessed seeing what others are doing. All in all, I had a good day, Lord willing, I might make a little sawdust of my own tomorrow. Thank you all for the encouragement you have been giving me!


One more thing before I shut down for the day……….. GO BRONCOS!





Source: LumberJocks.com



Woodworking For Therapy #11: No Saw Dust This Week, But..........

No comments:

Post a Comment