Monday, January 27, 2014

Built in Cabinets/Bookcase #1: Intro - Building the Base

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ljimg/n02vpz4.jpg


My wife and I moved into our first home back in the Summer of 2011. In the family room, the were spaces on each side of the fireplace for shelving etc. Over the years I have browsed pictures and magazines to come up with the perfect way to make use of the adequate space provided.


Fast forward to about a week prior to Christmas (2013) when my new neighbor decided to work on his built-in cabinets. He purchased two base cabinets and painted them white. I listened as he told me his plan to build the upper part. I went with him to HD and picked up the wood and veneer for the shelf faces. To make a long story short, I made some decisions about what I wanted based on his approach. One thing I did know, was that i was going to build mine from scratch, In true lumberjock fashion! Since im kind of a show off, Ill post the finished product first, then tell how it was done. Sorry for spoiling the surprise!



Both areas were 9′ in height and 2′ long. One side was 42 and 3/4 wide and the other was 41 and 7/8
So, with my new Dewalt 24V drill and $100 HD gift card (both xmas presents) I began my long journey of making the cabinets. I removed the MDF base trim, carpet tacks, and carpet from the area. I had taken measurements long before this time in my handy notepad. Keeping a steno notebook was invaluable to recording measurements and items that I needed to pick up. It was also handy because it had pockets for my receipts.


I had HD rip the 4



Built in Cabinets/Bookcase #1: Intro - Building the Base

No comments:

Post a Comment