Monday, February 24, 2014

Bright Velvets in the Library

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/jkomenda/ALBUM%2016/th_IMG_9854x.jpg


One of the big house projects we haven’t tackled yet is the built-in bookshelves in the front room we’re calling




 photo IMG_0073.jpg


 photo IMG_9916.jpg


 photo IMG_0128.jpg

The newest addition to the space is this pair of bright yellow Henredon chairs I got from a consignment store for $50. I picked them up at the same time and place that I got the pink ikat sofas (they were probably owned by the same person).


 photo IMG_1614.jpg

I fell in love with the color and the Schumacher strie velvet was pretty new, just a little marked up from sitting in the store. And I knew the chairs could look a little more modern if I removed the skirts and left off the back cushions.


 photo IMG_1617.jpg


 photo IMG_2038.jpg

When I got them home, I used a damp microfiber cloth to take off most of the smudges. I usually give all my vintage upholstered finds a good vacuuming and then a pass over with my steamer in case there are any mites or bed bugs (haven’t had any problems yet).


 photo IMG_0099.jpg


 photo IMG_9894.jpg


The feet aren’t my favorite, but they look better than the skirts and I have some ideas for changing them up down the road.


 photo IMG_9881.jpg



 photo IMG_9909.jpg


The room’s far from finished, but it’s fun to have a place to sit and host visitors. I’m on the fence about the Designer’s Guild pillows on the sofa. The green bergeres have needed new upholstery for a long time now (thinking gray Bengal Bazaar or some other pattern in a neutral color) and the rug is there temporarily. I do like the magnolia mirror in that spot though!

No comments:

Post a Comment