Thursday, February 27, 2014

Notes from a non-blogger

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/members/195558-50x50.jpg


So. If he’s a non-blogger, why is he writing a blog?


I’ll admit it. I could have put up in the title “Notes from an inconsistent blogger”, but if I’m going to do this, I’m wanting someone to read it, and so far you applied, so here we go. Next time I’ll go with something that’s closer to the truth and, probably, more boring.


A while back I wrote about having re-discovered the fun in the hobby, and even posted my grandson’s toy chest and a wood gloat.


Since then?


Well, I completed a frame to hold those elfa wire baskets you can get from the Container Store ( they wanted $75 for the metal frame, I used scrap wood to put together the wood frame, and it’s doing a fine job ). No pictures because … well, I’m not that type of a proud papa, and it’s a plain-jane wood frame w/ dadoes for the wire baskets to run through made of select pine. HooYah!


There’s a lap desk I put together of birch ply with bubinga banding. I mean, it functions well, it looks good, but if I had to do it again I’d use 1/2” ply instead of 3/4”. Other than that, it’s a pretty and function flat slab o’ wood.


I’m working on a king-size bed platform for our bed ( the springs and mattress have been on the floor for years, and looking forward to getting THAT off the floor) with a headboard. It’s maple ply that is so heavily stained that the grain is … non-existant ( it’s the look my wife is going for, and she supports me in all things, as I do her ), and it’s I’m applying the stain and finish to it on this pretty day in Houston. The headboard will require a little more work because I’m going to use plywood and band it rather than using pine or such ( Part of the build request was “no knots, please”, and I’m just not up for going to the nearest big-box place and re-arranging their stock to find 6 clean 8′ 1



Notes from a non-blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment