Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Fruit Painting

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/jkomenda/ALBUM%2017/th_IMG_2527.jpg


Pulling out my paints is the fastest route to my happy place. It’s so nice to be able to turn on a good Spotify playlist (or a


I don’t often buy new canvases. I think it’s fun (and less expensive) to recycle thrift store paintings. I got this giant one for just a few dollars. Shocker, I know. Who wouldn’t want this gem?




The canvas was in great shape (there wasn’t any texture to the old painting – and if there had been, it would have been pretty easy to sand it down). I gave everything including the frame a quick coat of white paint. (PS I have some plans brewing for that unfortunate frame)


 photo IMG_0473.jpg


While the paint was drying, I quickly sketched up the layout of my fruit collection idea. I tried to group them loosely by color.


 photo IMG_2346.jpg


I love oil paints, but the clean up is a pain, so I just used acrylics this time. I lightly sketched the fruits on my canvas and then outlined them with black paint.


 photo cIMG_2383.jpg


Then I just layered on colors. Like for the grapefruit, you can see on the plate here I had ivory and white and pink and orange and red and two or three different yellows. Then I’ve found the easiest way to get a painterly but still sort of realistic look is to just use a light hand to sort of layer on color according to how the light would hit the fruit. I really love it when little pops of the black base peek through the top layers of color.

 photo IMG_2390.jpg


 photo IMG_0495.jpg


I love painting this way – where you purposefully think less about what a banana looks like and more about texture and how light changes the eye’s perception of a color. It’s easier to do with fruit than with butterflies. :)


 photo IMG_0799.jpg


 photo IMG_2493.jpg


I know it’s not some great masterpiece, but it was a fun exercise to start and finish a painting in the same day. And at the very least, the painting fills my wall up well and is a shot of bright, happy color in a pretty monochromatic space. Perfect for a kitchen!


 photo IMG_0528.jpg

Source: Little Green Notebook



Fruit Painting

No comments:

Post a Comment