Friday, February 28, 2014

Stickley #369 Morris Chair #2: Frame Assembly and Through Tenons

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ljimg/n1pwwj6.jpg


Here is where the project is at currently.


-
-
-
-
-
Before I angle the top side rails, I mark the height of the small tenon.

-
-
-
-
-
Then I trim away the excess tenon at the bandsaw.

-
-
-
-
-
Fitting the small tenon into the back leg mortises.

-
-
-
-
-
The joint looks a little peculiar at this point because the top rails have not been angled yet.

-
-
-
-
-
With the frame dry fit I can measure the height of the side slats.

-
-
-
-
-
With the repeater set up on my miter saw, I cut the 10 slats to the same length.

-
-
-
-
-
Then slats are milled for tenons at the dado blade.

-
-
-
-
-
Now it is time to cut the armrests. With a new blade on the bandsaw I cut the 7 degree taper for the armrests. Notice how two armrests are ganged together for extra stability as I make this freehand cut.

-
-
-
-
-
Move the wedge from the top to the bottom of the armrest and glue it in place, smooth side to smooth side.

-
-
-
-
-
While the glue was drying, I cut tenons on 8/4 stock for the back slats. Note how the tenons are offset.

-
-
-
-
-
My last task of the day was to taper the upper side rails to 7 degrees. I thought the cut could be made with a tapering sled at he tablesaw, but realized doing so would have cut off part of the small tenon. So I decided to make the cut at the bandsaw with an angled block as a guide. I am leaving my upper side rails 1/4” wider than usual. This extra width will fit in a groove on the underside of the armrest (the WoodSmith Shop trick).


Next up will be fitting the armrests and through tenons.
Cheers!




Source: LumberJocks.com



Stickley #369 Morris Chair #2: Frame Assembly and Through Tenons

No comments:

Post a Comment