Saturday, April 26, 2014

Hand Tool Journey #30: Stanley SW #246 Miter Box Restoration #4.. Watching Paint Dry and Other Things..

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n4nxv8b.jpg


I have been lucky the last couple days with a few hours of shop time and good weather (a combo that nearly never happens lol).


So I took full advantage of it and got to work again on the mitre box.


Fist thing on the list was to get everything out of their respective Evaporust baths, rinsed and brushed clean. This took what felt like a week to get done due to the shear amount of parts but really it only took about 4 hours yesterday morning.


Fresh out of the bath and rinsed with fresh water (a very important step in the Evaporust process!)



Everything took a trip to my wire wheel chucked into my drill press and got a good scrubbing. Shines everything up real nice like..




Then this morning during my kids unusually long morning nap I was able to get everything masked off and ready for paint.



At that point I figured I was done for the day. It was cold and rainy while I was masking and we had a Carnival to get to in town but… the weather broke after we got back home and rushing around to not miss the opportunity I got a “paint booth” setup and started spraying.


First thing I painted was the back fence with Rustoleum Metalic Silver paint..


Seems to be a nearly perfect match to the original paint there.


A couple coats later and when it was dry to the touch I fliped the box over letting the wall hang off the 2



Hand Tool Journey #30: Stanley SW #246 Miter Box Restoration #4.. Watching Paint Dry and Other Things..

No comments:

Post a Comment