Sunday, April 27, 2014

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1302: Back on Track

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n4otdav.jpg


I am feeling a bit better about things today than I was yesterday. It helped to write about it in the morning and it put me on a path that was positive and productive. Sometimes just ‘talking’ about things – whether it be in written form or spoken – helps us more than we know.


When I sat down to work on my project and article, I still felt a little overwhelmed, as there were many ideas swimming around my head at once. Far too many to apply to the task at hand. It came to a point where I just had to choose one idea and begin my focus on it, and go from there. This is usually a method that works well for me, although I don’t know why but when I am caught up in things I tend to forget it.


As I worked on that one portion of the design, things began to fall into place. I started sorting through things in my head and filtering out which ideas I would run with and which would be put back on the shelf for another day and project.


I don’t like the idea of ‘shelving’ thoughts. I find that when I store ideas for a later day – more times than not they never reach realization. It is as if I have this entire warehouse of thoughts and projects and ideas that are waiting to be developed and just collecting dust. The warehouse is at this point enormous and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to empty the shelves again.


I think not.


But that isn’t a bad thing, is it? I will need to remember to return there on the days when I am looking for something to do and the creative part of me is not cooperating. I will consider it somewhat of a security blanket of designs and project ideas and it allows me to be at peace with myself and not clutter up my mind with worry that I will run out of ideas. And like a savings account at a bank, I won’t feel anguish as I see it fill, but contentment and security.


It is all a matter of how we perceive things.


So I began with a single thought and things progressed from there.



What, oh what could it be??


I think even my usual ‘guessers’ will have trouble with this one! ;)


In between drawing I got distracted and wound up tidying up the large cabinet that we stored our supplies in.


Funny how that happens. . .


It began with me looking for something and then straightening up one shelf and then moving to the next and before I knew it, every drawer and shelf in the cabinet were neat and organized. I filled up half the paper recycle bin as well as some of the trash can with a big pile of things I didn’t need. It felt wonderful and took just over an hour.


During the time I was cleaning, I was busy thinking about the next step. Perhaps the cleaning part was necessary to clear the path for me to move ahead. I love being organized and this was all part of the process, I believe.


When I was done I had more ideas:



Yes – they were coming at a good pace now. One by one they began to step up to the front of my thoughts. No longer were they all mingled in a tangle of mediocrity in my mind, fighting for recognition. The leaders were evident and the decision of which way to move suddenly became much easier. I was able to move ahead with confidence. The chaos was calming.


I am finding that my process of creating is like the tide of the ocean. There are times when the ideas rush in and fill me to my limits, and there are other times when things recede and gently pull back. If I am patient with myself, I realize that there is no reason to worry when the tide is low, for it always makes a triumphant return.


I need to remind myself of this from time to time, as foolish as it may seem – I sometimes forget.


I also need to use the time when the tide may be low to do other things and prepare for those busy times. Or maybe just rest so that when they arrive, I am refreshed and ready.


It is all very easy when put so simply. I need to remember that.


Have a wonderful Sunday. :)




Source: LumberJocks.com



My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1302: Back on Track

No comments:

Post a Comment