Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Trying new woodworking skills #18: Assembly

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n4rv5c9.jpg


I started the prep for the assembly. I do not have a spray setup, nor do I want to try to learn how to do that at this time. I stained and varnished the pieces prior to assembly. The disadvantage is handling lots of loose parts. I also end up putting varnish on edges that need to hold glue. So I have to remove some of that varnish before gluing.


This is a spacer. There are 16 for the mid-sized table. You can see where I sanded the edge for the glue.



This is a decorative slat. I do not need a large glue surface. There is no load on these pieces. They are just decorative details. A small glue area will hold them just fine.



These are the slats and spacers for the mid-sized table. The large table has twice as many pieces.



I have to glue the rails into one leg first. If I glued up the slats and spacers into the rails first I could set the rail too close together, (I left some room to play in the length of the slats). By gluing the rails into one leg I lock in the distance between the rails.


This clamp up is deceiving. There is only glue on one side.



Here you can see I pulled apart the unglued side so I can slide the slats into the groove.



Here is the assembly of the spacers and slats on the small table.




It’s a bit tedious. I’ve been working on this project for a long time. I don’t want to rush now and do a sloppy assembly. So I do a little each night and save some for tomorrow.


BJ




Source: LumberJocks.com



Trying new woodworking skills #18: Assembly

No comments:

Post a Comment