Friday, April 25, 2014

Hope Chest for Daughter #2 #6: Cleaned up the top and sanded.... almost blew it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n4lmybw.jpg


So this is the one tool in my shop that has time and time again brought me to the brink of catastrophe….



Within the first 60 seconds of sanding with 100 grit, I had put several depressions in the top. And of course, I started on the better of the two sides. :^(


I had no problems using the belt sander on my first daughters hope chest in Red Oak, but lesson learned today…. Mahogany is not nearly as hard of a hard wood and Oak.


Here’s what we used for the save….



We went over the entire panel with the scraper, and were able to get the depressions out. Then on the other side, we abandoned the belt sander and used the large 2” timber framing chisel for paring the glue lines off and then scraped the glue lines. Here’s my girl using the scraper…. I told her not to think about it, but rather to feel it, and adjust the angle and bow until she could tell she was getting a good scrape.




Then we hit it with the random orbital sander, starting with 150 and finishing with 220. And this is what we wound up with when we were done.



Next job is bread boards.


Adios




Source: LumberJocks.com



Hope Chest for Daughter #2 #6: Cleaned up the top and sanded.... almost blew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment