Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Trays #4: Titanic Serving Trays Base work

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n3126u5.jpg


The veneer I sliced up was prepared to use as a feature base for one of the trays.
Here is the progression work involved and a few photos.


First up I had to bookmatch the veneers as accurately as possible.
Then edge sand them to a perfect edge match
Tape them all together and prepare the base



For this I used Titebond II glue, mainly for its quick setting properties.


Then applied the veneer and rolled it on



Once I was happy with the positioning I assembled the veneer press.


You may see the sections at the top and also at the bottom that will need to be trimmed away in this photo,



After the glue has set I then sanded it in the drum sander to 120 Grit and applied a coat of shellac to seal it.



There are a couple of obvious defects in it.
1. There are saw marks on the center left section which I was not able to remove so they will have to stay and add to the character.
2.there is a small hole further down.


Unfortunately by the time I matched everything and completed the glue up the final size will be too small for a tray base.


This only became apparent upon trimming off the raggedy edges.


Regardless I have a very nice piece of Inlay veneered MDF.


Its a little disappointing not to be able to use it as intended bcause it took quite a lot of work to produce the final result.


Not distracting away from the fact I am impressed with the result and I guess that’s the learning process for you




Source: LumberJocks.com



Trays #4: Titanic Serving Trays Base work

No comments:

Post a Comment