Monday, March 31, 2014

Wood Butter (What you got in your box?)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n3a9qm2.jpg


I recently made my first grease box. I’m sure it won’t be the last version of it, but it’s a start. I’m not alone in the “Could’a, should’a, would’a” thoughts as a project comes to a close. Size, shape, wood choice, overall design, etc. You have to start somewhere before you get it right. The next decision…What to put in it?


Wood butter, spoon oil, grease, paste, wax, whatever you want to call it. Something must go in there and so the journey begins. After the usual search of LJ and a few rounds of Google, there was a reoccurring recipe with different ratios of Wax and Oil. I just decided to start mixing and coming up with my own mix and see how it goes. Think of this as a direction to go in rather than an absolute recipe. Just a starting point.


Starting ingredients:


2oz Beeswax
6oz Mineral Oil
Lemon Grass Oil (The scented oil is optional as beeswax smells amazing by itself, but I wanted something a bit different)


*all of which were Food, Pharmaceutical or “Therapeutic” Grade This is important if keep in mind if you want to use on products that may touch food.



Next comes how to melt it. Some say double boiler, some say just stuff it in the microwave. Both are tried and true methods, but seem either to be a fire hazard, or a bit messy. I’m taking the Keep It Simple Stupid route. On this venture let’s stick to the K.I.S.S. method and Start with a candle warming or hot plate. Be careful not to use a coffee warming plate as they seem not to get hot enough.



Next, what to melt it in? I choose short squatty mason jars for a few reasons. 1st it is made to be boiled, frozen, and everything in between. Short works best because it helps to spread the heat around. Also, it can be used to safely store your finished product.



Combine the wax, oil(s), turn on the heat and let it do its thing. Keeping the lid on helps hold the heat in and help it to melt faster. This will take time. Especially depending on the room temp in which you are working. So put on a movie, work on a project, write a blog, post a project because it will take a while for it to mix.




Or sit back and watch it like a Lava Lamp. No real need to stir as the convection(?) inside will cause it to mix all on its own.


After it is fully mixed up, I suggest letting it cool and checking to see what consistency it is. The ratio I mentioned above is what I use on cutting boards, wood spoons, etc. It’s pretty soft and maybe you want something a bit harder. You might also want to start at half quantities and melt and cool to see what you have before making a full jar.



Finally fill up a grease box, or what ever it is you got going on.



It’s an ever evolving experiment to see what people like for their needs. I did try to add a bit of carnauba wax to another batch. Apparently I added too much because when it cooled it cracked all the way through. Not ruined, just not the result I wanted.


So let me know what you use and how you use it. Include pictures if you can. Curious to know your recipes and results.


Cheers
-PAJA




Source: LumberJocks.com



Wood Butter (What you got in your box?)

No comments:

Post a Comment