Saturday, March 29, 2014

Workbench Build #3: Half a top

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lumberjocks.com/n36kvn3.jpg


Milled and glued up two quarters of the top today. Started edge jointing the first board and realized I had a jointer taper issue. Spent an hour getting that right, or at least pretty close. My longest straight-edge is my 6′ builders level, so it is sorted out to whatever degree of accuracy the level allows. Didn’t seem to be an issue afterwards, at least.


Process was to mill 3 boards and glue them up. Mill the next set while the glue was setting.


All clamps on deck!


Line up the boards properly – check to make sure all the grain is running in the same direction:


And get to work


The bottle says the clamp time for the glue is 30 minutes. I swear it took me 25 to just get the clamps on tight.


While that was setting up, I got busy milling another 4 boards for the next section. One had a long radial crack near an end.


I planed that board down quite a bit, to just under 1 1/2” trying to get rid of the crack. No luck, but it was decidedly smaller with a good amount of area for glue on both sides of the crack. If it ever expands and becomes an issue, I’ll figure out a way to deal with it.



My forearm is sore now. Pipe clamps take much less work than parallel jaw clamps.


Most of the boards have been netting 1 7/8” width. These 7 boards measure out to 13” total, half of my target width. We’ll see how the rest do, but looks like I’ll get away with a 14-board top instead of 15.




Source: LumberJocks.com



Workbench Build #3: Half a top

No comments:

Post a Comment